Thursday, January 18, 2018

Orphan Block Pot Holders


It was time to make some new pot holders and my favorite way to make them is by using orphan blocks.

This is just two of the old ones. They had stains that would not come out and burn spots. I wrote about making these in November 2015. Two years is a long life for something that is used every single day, although I probably pushed a little too long with these.


This is my younger boys bedroom back in January 2011. We had just converted their bunk beds into twin beds and these were new quilts for their beds. One of my very early blog entries shares their room transformation.


This long panel was part of the planning that went into those quilts. It was perfect to cut into squares for new pot holders.


Each pot holder has six layers. The heat resistant fabric is Therma-Flec and two layers of batting make each pot holder more sturdy. Since there were so many layers, each binding strip is cut 2 1/2 inches wide (normally I like 2 1/4 inch binding strips). Each pot holder finishes at a little over 8 inches.


The stacks are layered and ready to go so that I can sit and sew them up without stopping between each one. 


The machine quilting is simple with straight lines along each seam line.


The old ones have been disposed of and these fresh new pot holders are ready to go to work. I love finding purpose for orphan blocks.

6 comments :

  1. Very colorful! I might not lose track of such fun colored hot pads! I tend to lay mine down and then wonder when I can't find them. "senior moments!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not sure this will keep me from losing them as they are often buried under other things, but it might help a little.

      Delete
  2. I love them! I really need some new pot holders, but have been holding off because binding such small projects makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There have been times when I make potholders that I round the corners so that I would not have to start and stop. This time, I decided I wanted the crisp corners. I upsized them a little bit to 8-9 inches, and then considered all that binding an opportunity for good practice.

      Delete
  3. Fresh and colorful pot holders... brilliant use of Orphan Blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a whole bin of orphan blocks so I may be set for life in the pot holder realm.

      Delete

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...